Sunday, May 11, 2014

Tagged Under: , , , , ,

Which camera should I buy for Bird Watching ?

By: drjyotiprasad On: 12:51 PM
  • Share The Gag

  • When I first became the member of bird watching groups on facebook I was mesmerized at the quality of images the members posted and my Fujifilm S-2980 Bridge camera with 18x Zoom could not offer that quality of Photos, so I asked this question "What camera should I buy for bird watching ?" in all groups, forums and pages and no one responded in a clear tone. Every time the people said it is some DSLR or the other and the telephoto lens etc. It was confusing and then I decided to update my camera and so Six months back when I procured my first DSLR I was thrilled and then the feeling did not last long when I realised the pictures I am taking are far too short of the quality that I have been going through on the facebook and other social networks. What was wrong with me ? It happened that the zooming ability of my camera was not that big and so I always fell short of it.

    I had become a big bird watcher and was going out every morning in search of birds and was shooting them and although I have shot more than a hundred different variety of birds in my city alone, I always felt If the camera could go a few meters close to the birds.

    Then one day I got the information that bird lovers do not depend much on DSLRs but they are using a point and shoot camera. That was again a disappointment for me, since the money I had spend on getting the DSLR and the lens could have been saved too. But somehow I came to know that Canon SX50 HS was the camera that most bird lovers used and then I started doing research online on this camera.

    I was bowled over by the capability of the camera to produce such nice quality photos that I became a fan of the camera and although I have not purchased one yet, I had the opportunity to use it and see the results when a friend of mine got that one and while we were doing a bird walk in my city, I got to see the camera and took couple of shots.

    I suggested every other newbie in photography to go for this camera because of the things which it could do. It had 12 megapixel back-illuminated sensor, DIGIC 5 image processor, 4.5-stop optical Image Stabilizer with Intelligent IS technology, full manual controls, ISO 80-6400, 12-bit RAW format support, full 1080p HD movie recording with stereo sound and a HDMI port, 10fps burst shooting, a 2.8 inch vari-angle LCD screen, a range of Creative Filters, external flash hotshoe and an electronic viewfinder.

    The best thing about this camera was the massive 50X zoom which in terms of 35mm sensor meant a whoping 1200mm focal length at the farthest end. While if you plan to buy a lens for your DSLR with the same focal length, you may have to sell your house to get it.

    For all bird lovers and photography enthusiasts I would suggest you opt for this tiny thing which can show you much better results and you can get clear shots of birds and flying objects too.






    1 comments: