Sunday, June 22, 2014

Tagged Under: , , , ,

Do the lapwings attack human beings ?

By: drjyotiprasad On: 12:56 PM
  • Share The Gag
  • This afternoon after returning from my Sunday appointments at Surada with my Patients, I decided to go out for Bird watching, which I had not done for quite some time. My field of birding, Bada kusasthali and the water body near the village where I could see hundreds of birds during the winter had vanished with the summer and along the size of the pond which had become less than half the normal size.

    So after having my lunch, I proceeded to Badakusasthali and to my surprise, I found a group of bee eaters in front of the Central school, Berhampur and also handful of jungle bablers along with some cuckoos and pigeons. After taking some shots of those birds I proceeded to my final spot where many more birds may be waiting for me.
    Green Bee Eater

    Green Bee Eater with a catch

    Green Bee Eater

    Green Bee Eater

    Jungle Babler

    Spotted Dove


    Since the water-body in Badakusasthali has shrunk to less than half its capacity many birds are not seen there, including the lesser whistling ducks, spot billed ducks etc, and what ever is left they are remaining mostly hidden in big trees on the bank of the pond.
    Common Greenshank

    Purple swamp hen

    Common Greenshank in Flight

    Red Wattled lapwing hovering over my head

    Red Wattled lapwing hovering over my head

    Cattle Egret in flight



    Anyway as I was approaching the water body and trying to shoot some birds from a distance the birds were alerted about my presence by a pair of red wattled lapwings. Initially it looked innocent but soon I realized I could not take any photo because the pair of lapwings created so much noise that all birds what so ever were available fled from the pond to the trees and elsewhere. I was really annoyed and yet kept waiting and then decided to shoot the lapwings instead.

    Red Wattled lapwing hovering over my head and warning me
    When I approached the lapwings the duo agains Started shouting and making huge noise and at one moment I felt like the birds are actually coming towards me as if they want to attack me. It was quite unusual and they did not gather courage to come near me due to my long barrel of the telephoto (70-300mm) lens. But thanks to their approach I could take some good closeup shots of the lapwings in flight.

    Red Wattled lapwing hovering over my head
    I am still under the doubt that if these birds did really want to attack me or were eager to know what I was holding in my hands (camera) !

    Click here for a Surprise Gift

    Description: Red wattled lapwing attacks humans ?

    1 comments:

    1. I guess they must be nesting nearby and hence this behaviour.

      ReplyDelete